Lower Division Requirements at the Alamo Colleges District for an AS degree
The courses in this section meet the requirements for an Associate of Science degree. The Graduation section in any catalog of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District lists additional Degree/Certificate Requirements.
Applicable Transfer Credit Hours
This Transfer Advising Guide provides 69 college-level hours, of which 66 will transfer and apply, as 1 SCH of the following: FL 1411, FL 1412, KINE 1304/1338 will transfer, but will NOT be degree applicable towards the University of the Incarnate Word baccalaureate degree in Biology.
Note: The University of the Incarnate Word does not have a maximum number of college-level transfer hours accepted towards a baccalaureate degree. Students must complete the specified number of advanced credits and credits in residence for their degrees.
Note: For the Alamo Colleges District this transfer advising guide is NOT core complete but is degree complete.
*** denotes Milestone Course(s).
A milestone course is a course that is critical for success in this program as determined by the Faculty of the Alamo Colleges District.
Special Admission Requirements for Biology at the University of the Incarnate Word
The purpose of the Admission to the Major is to ensure that students are taking the appropriate courses to progress toward graduation with a degree in Biology. Upon acceptance to the University, a student may declare a major in Biology; however, every Biology major must be officially admitted to the major after completing 25 hours. Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to the major. New transfer students may be eligible to apply upon admission to UIW. Applications are completed one semester in advance of being admitted to the Biology major.
Requirements for Admission to the Major
After completing or registering for a total of 25 hours, a student may formally apply to the Biology major. To be eligible, a student must meet the following criteria:
- 2.0 minimum overall grade point average
- Complete the required courses with a grade of C or better
- Complete MATH 1304 or be exempted from MATH 1304 (see MATH department Chair for requirements to meet MATH 1304 requirement)
- Complete ENGL 1311 and ENGL 1312
- Complete BIOL 1402 and BIOL 1403
- Complete CHEM 1301, CHEM 1302, and CHEM 1203
Application to the Major Process
- Student makes an appointment at the Biology Advising Office to begin the admission to the major process.
- The Biology advisor reviews students’ transcripts and determines eligibility.
- Student submits the application upon completion or registration for all required courses to the Biology advisor.
- Biology advisor forwards the application to the Chair of Biology for review and approval.
- The student will be notified of the decision within thirty days of application.
- Upon acceptance, the Biology advisor assigns a faculty advisor.
- Student meets with their faculty advisor to review the Biology degree plan.
IF THE STUDENT IS NOT ACCEPTED, THE BIOLOGY ADVISOR WILL WORK WITH THE STUDENT ON RE-APPLICATION OR SELECTION OF ANOTHER MAJOR.
Additional University of the Incarnate Word Advising Notes
- Make an appointment with the academic advisor of the major, once accepted to the University of the Incarnate Word, in order to clarify department, college and university policies and procedures, to review course sequencing and to help with identifying resources for academic success. A current listing of academic advising centers can be found at http://www.uiw.edu/advising/.
- Refer to the official source of information on specific courses within the University of the Incarnate Word requirements for this degree plan from the University of the Incarnate Word Undergraduate Catalog.
- Pay close attention to course sequencing and availability at the University of the Incarnate Word as it will affect the time it takes to complete the degree program.
Using this Transfer Advising Guide with the University of the Incarnate Word
This Transfer Advising Guide represents the University of the Incarnate Word degree plan and is subject to change at the university’s discretion. It is intended for advising purposes only so students know exactly which courses they can take at any of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District and have the courses count towards degree requirements when they transfer to the University of the Incarnate Word. It is highly recommended that students meet with their assigned advisor to review all graduation and transfer requirements listed in the Transfer Advising Guide.
The ultimate goal is to provide students with accurate information for transfer pathways while minimizing loss of credits in transfer. Students are encouraged to review the University of the Incarnate Word’s requirements frequently.
Course numbers in italics are the University of the Incarnate Word’s course numbers.
This Transfer Advising Guide is based upon the University of the Incarnate Word’s 2017-2018 catalog and is subject to change.
The Alamo Colleges District Advising
Students are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor about courses and other educational concerns if they plan to pursue a two-year degree program, transfer to another college or university, or simply take a few selected courses. In addition to course and degree requirements, policies and procedures are subject to change; stay informed by meeting with an academic advisor regularly.
Many students who plan to transfer to a university are advised to fulfill the lower-division requirements for the university. With appropriate planning, your Alamo Colleges District team can help make the transfer experience a seamless process. It is the responsibility of all students to ensure that they take courses at the Alamo Colleges District that will be accepted by the senior institutions they wish to attend.
For more information contact your Alamo Colleges District team.
Released on November 2, 2017
Revised on November 30, 2017