Lower Division Requirements at the Alamo Colleges District for an AS degree
The courses in this section meet the requirements for an Associate of Science degree. The Graduation section in any catalog of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District lists additional Degree/Certificate Requirements.
Applicable Transfer Credit Hours
This Transfer Advising Guide provides 70 college-level hours, of which 66 will transfer and apply as EDUC 1300 and 1 SCH of MATH 1414 will transfer but will NOT be applicable towards the Sam Houston State University baccalaureate degree in Chemistry for Professional Chemists.
Note: Sam Houston State University accepts a maximum of 66 college-level hours in transfer towards a baccalaureate degree. Students must complete the specified number of advanced credits and credits in residence for their degrees.
Note: Sam Houston State University recommends that students take and complete 15-16 SCH per semester.
Note: ACD Math Faculty Highly Recommend MATH 1414 for all Pre-Calculus (STEM) Track Programs.
Note: Sam Houston State University recommends students transfer to SHSU in the Fall semester for this major.
Note: For the Alamo Colleges District this transfer advising guide is degree complete but NOT core complete.
Sam Houston State University Transfer Scholarship Information
Transfer Scholarship Conditions
- First-time SHSU student, enrolling full-time at SHSU (must not have previously enrolled at SHSU)
- Transfer from an accredited community college or university
- Be an undergraduate student, seeking their first bachelors degree
- Have a minimum of 45 transferable academic credit hours
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
||Transfer GPA (Cumulative )
||Minimum Transfer Hours
||3.50 - 3.99
||3.00 - 3.49
||2.75 - 2.99
For more information on SHSU Scholarships, please visit: https://www.shsu.edu/dept/financial-aid/aid/scholarships
*** denotes Milestone Course(s).
A milestone course is a course that is critical for success in this program as determined by the Faculty of the Alamo Colleges District.
AS Approved Course Requirements
º denotes an Alamo Colleges District AS Approved Course Requirement
The Associate of Science (AS) is designed to align closely with the first half of a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree. Students should follow the pre-major AS to BS Transfer Advising Guide for the major and university selected. The Transfer Advising Guides are developed in conjunction with the senior institution to which the student plans to transfer.
To be awarded the AS degree at one of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District, students must have 9 hours of AS Approved Course Requirements not included in the 42 hours of Core Curriculum. Please check with your advisor for assistance.
Additional Sam Houston State University Advising Notes
Things to do and remember upon Admission to Sam Houston State University:
- Make an appointment with the academic advisor of the major, once accepted to Sam Houston State University, in order to clarify department, college and university policies and procedures, to review course sequencing and to help with identifying resources for academic success. A current listing of academic advising centers can be found at https://www.shsu.edu/centers/sam-center/
- Refer to the official source of information on specific courses within the Sam Houston State University requirements for this degree plan from the Sam Houston State University 2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog or visit the web site at https://www.shsu.edu/centers/sam-center/
- Pay close attention to course sequencing and availability at Sam Houston State University as it will affect the time it takes to complete the degree program.
Using this Transfer Advising Guide with Sam Houston State University
This Transfer Advising Guide represents Sam Houston State University’s degree plan and is subject to change at the university’s discretion. It is intended for advising purposes only so students know exactly which courses they can take at any of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District and have the courses count towards degree requirements when they transfer to SHSU. It is highly recommended that students meet with their assigned academic advisor to review all graduation and transfer requirements listed in the Transfer Advising Guide.
The ultimate goal is to provide students with accurate information for transfer pathways while minimizing loss of credits in transfer. Students are encouraged to review SHSU’s requirements frequently.
Course numbers in italics are SHSU’s course numbers.
This Transfer Advising Guide is based upon Sam Houston State University’s 2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog and is subject to change.
The Alamo Colleges District Advising
Students are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor about courses and other educational concerns if they plan to pursue a two-year degree program, transfer to another college or university, or simply take a few selected courses. In addition to course and degree requirements, policies and procedures are subject to change; stay informed by meeting with an academic advisor regularly.
Many students who plan to transfer to a university are advised to fulfill the lower-division requirements for the university. With appropriate planning, your Alamo Colleges District team can help make the transfer experience a seamless process. It is the responsibility of all students to ensure that they take courses at the Alamo Colleges District that will be accepted by the senior institutions they wish to attend.
For more information contact your Alamo Colleges District team.
Released on October 7, 2021
Revised on December 3, 2021